Just a few thoughts on the controversy surrounding the film:
– the military doesn’t exist in a vacuum and it does NOT make its own policy. If you don’t like the policies highlighted in the movie, take the matter up with your elected officials. Haven’t you ever heard of the Commander in Chief or the House Armed Services Committee? THEY create the rules of engagement. THEY are the authors of military policy. THEY choose the field of battle, the foe, and the fight. Service members have NO sway on policy or anything else.
– Hollywood has created a romantic idea that one person can change the whole military for the better by disobeying orders they don’t like during deployment. This is a gigantic lie. If any member of the military disobeys orders during deployment, their coworkers and friends could end up dead, which is why individuals choose to follow orders. Change happens when it’s initiated far from the battlefield.
– the Americans who answer the call of duty are regular humans, just like you. They have flaws, stressors, and histories. They’re doing their very best on your behalf. If you think you can do better, join and lead the way. If not, pipe down.
– there are better things to be outraged about then this film. Here is a short list:
– the rise of preventable, deadly childhood illnesses in the USA and the ignorant, rabid legion of anti-vaxxers.
– our American public schools are hopelessly behind in math and science, and our inner city schools are failing. We are losing an entire generation of children.
– Boko Haram: murderers, genocidal maniacs, kidnappers, sex traffickers, and completely unchecked.
– the Islamic State (or whatever they’re calling themselves these days). Everything about them and Boko Haram should cause outrage and anger in your soul.
– Detroit and other American cities are rittled with violence. Children are murdered in drive-bys or in other acts of violence. We are doing NOTHING about this.
– racism and sexism are so prevalent in our society that we have become blind to it.
– our elected officials couldn’t give fewer fucks about the people they represent. It’s all about getting elected and winning the next election. How about governing for a change?
– big money influencing politics. “Corporations are people, my friend” and all that bs.
– I am a product of and a member of the intellectual, liberal, egalitarian, and altruistic class of folks in our country, and I am far from some kind of “sheep” or puppet follower of our military-industrial complex. However, I do not see a single conflict with supporting our service members. Like I said – if you don’t like what the military is doing, take it up with our elected officials. They create the policies that the military carries out. That’s why I LOVE to vote!
In closing, Michael Moore & Seth Rogan are fools. LLBH.